The TELETHON GENERAL GRANT 2020 call is aimed at funding research projects focused on rare genetic diseases, conducted by researchers working in Italian public or private non-profit research institutions. The length of the projects can range from one to three years; only projects involving a single research center will be admitted and a request up to 80 thousand euro/year will be allowed. Principal Investigator’s salary coverage request will not be admitted (except for the Telethon Career Award and FPS/FT opportunities, see below).
Projects focusing on the following diseases will not be eligible:
• Multiple sclerosis
• Acquired immunodeficiency
• Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
• Multifactorial diseases
The call includes two additional funding opportunities:
1. The TELETHON CAREER AWARD opportunity in support of young researchers proposing – as principal investigator - innovative projects in the field of rare genetic diseases and with the need of a salary coverage. The call is open to researchers with a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 7 years experience since completion of the PhD (or specialization for medical degree)*. The project will provide salary coverage for the entire length of the project for an amount of maximum 40 thousand euro/year, plus a maximum budget of 80 thousand euro/year for research expenses for three years.
2. The Fondazione Pisana per la Scienza /Telethon Foundation (FPS/FT) funding opportunity aims to attract researchers willing to join the scientific community of the Fondazione Pisana per la Scienza and proposing innovative projects in the field of neurological and/or cardiovascular rare genetic diseases. The call is open to researchers of all levels of seniority demonstrating the ability to formulate and conduct an independent research line in synergy with the scientific activities of FPS. The budget will provide salary coverage for the principal investigator for the entire length of the project (to be established based on the seniority of the researcher), plus a maximum budget of 80 thousand euro / year for research expenses and for three years. The Host Institute must be the Fondazione Pisana per la Scienza ONLUS.
At completion of the Project, the researcher will be evaluated by the FPS internal Scientific Committe for possible recruitment within the FPS research staff. For more information, you can contact Dr. Leopoldo Laricchia Robbio (Chief Operating Officer of Fondazione Pisana per la Scienza ONLUS, [email protected]).
Call opening: June 30, 2020
Phase I: submission of a Letter of Intent (LoI) Deadline: July 27, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.
Phase II: Researchers whose letter of intent will be positively evaluated by the Telethon Scientific Committee will be invited by early September 2020 to submit the entire scientific project. Submission deadline for complete project: end of October 2020
The final evaluation of the Projects will take place by mid-February 2021.
Important notice on LoI filling-in
please refer to the the Call and Guidelines documents (see below) and consider that the following fields are NOT required:
- figures and Gantt.
* PhD obtained from January 1 ,2013 to December 31, 2017 (included)
The eligibility period can be extended in the following cases (provided they occurred before the opening of the call, i.e. 30/06/2020):
- Maternity leave: 18 months extension for each child born before or after obtaining the PhD (documentation required in case of funding)
- Paternity leave: extension equal to the period of parental leave used for each child born before or after obtaining the PhD (documentation required in case of funding)
- Illness: extension equal to the leave of absence of the researcher, valid for each disease event that occurred after the date of achievement of the PhD (documentation required in case of funding)
- Clinical training: extension equal to the period of training received by the researcher after obtaining the appropriate qualification and up to a maximum of 4 years (documentation required in case of funding).