Research and Facilities
Over the years Telethon has financed numerous research support services with the objective of providing funded researchers with technology that is otherwise difficult to obtain.
The funded facilities meet high quality criteria in the services they offer, their usefulness for the users, their innovation for the development of projects, and the cost competitiveness when compared to prices on the external market.
The funding provided by Telethon to these facilities has always, up until now, been provided as an extra, in addition to the Telethon grants. Under this system, researchers funded by Telethon are only asked to use their grants to finance a part (maximum of 50%) of the cost of services provided by these facilities. Telethon supports the remaining portion, on top of the administrative costs of managing these.
From 2010, with the aim of focusing as much investment as possible on research projects, Telethon has not renewed the financing programme directed towards facilities in the same form as has been utilised up until now.
Despite this, the facilities that are currently active in providing services to Telethon researchers will continue to offer their services under unaltered conditions until the assigned funding has been completely exhausted. Successively, having taken into account the appreciation Telethon's researchers have shown towards this initiative, the facilities will be able to continue to offer their services, but they will be entirely paid for by the research grants assigned by Telethon to the users.
Telethon currently-funded services:
• TELETHON ELECTRON MICROSCOPY CORE FACILITY (TeEMCoF) - Roman Polishchuk – Tigem - Institute of Protein Biochemistry (IBP) - Italian National Research Council (CNR), Naples. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• BIOINFORMATICS CORE FACILITY FOR NEXT-GENERATION SEQUENCING DATA - Graziano Pesole - Consorzio Interuniversitario per le Applicazioni di Supercalcolo per l'Università e la Ricerca (CASPUR), Roma. Email: email@example.com.
Telethon previously-funded services:
• SAN RAFFAELE-TELETHON CORE FACILITY FOR CONDITIONAL MUTAGENESIS - Marco Bianchi - Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele – Dibit – Milano.
• CENTER FOR IN VIVO FUNCTIONAL GENOMICS - Fiorella Altruda - Dipartimento di Genetica, Biologia e Biochimica - Università di Torino.
• EXPERIMENTAL NEUROPHYSIOLOGY IN ANIMAL MODELS - Letizia Leocani - Istituto di Neurologia Sperimentale, IRCCS Ospedale S. Raffaele, Milano.
• TELETHON FACILITY FOR ELECTRON MICROSCOPY: ULTRASTRUCTURAL ANALYSIS AND IMMUNO-LOCALIZATION ON IN VITRO CELL MODEL SYSTEMS OF GENETIC DISEASES - Carlo Tacchetti - Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale – Sezione Anatomia – Università di Genova.
• TELETHON PROTEOMICS SERVICE - Marco Crescenzi, Francesco Facchiano - Dipartimento di Biologia Cellulare e Neuroscienze e Dipartimento di Ematologia, Oncologia e Medicina Molecolare - Istituto Superiore di Sanità – Roma.
• BURLO-CBM SNP GENOTYPING SERVICE - Paolo Gasparini - Dipartimento di Scienze della Riproduzione e dello Sviluppo - Istituto per l'Infanzia IRCCS Burlo Garofolo - Università di Trieste.
• IMMUNOGENETICS-TELETHON SERVICE FACILITY FOR PRODUCTION AND HIGH GRADE QUALITY PURIFICATION OF MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIES – Alberto Horenstein - Dipartimento di Genetica, Biologia e Biochimica - Università di Torino.
• AAV VECTOR UNIT (AVU) FOR GENE THERAPY- Lorena Zentilin - International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), Trieste.
• BAC/PAC COLLECTION FOR MOLECULAR CYTOGENETICS – Mariano Rocchi - Dipartimento di Genetica e Microbiologia, Università di Bari.